Monday, December 20, 2010

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


I received this recipe from my First Place leader, Connie earlier this month and loved it! I made it for family this past Saturday at our Christmas gathering and received several compliments and promised to post the recipe on here. I did make a couple of small changes to the original. So here you go--

Chicken Tortilla Soup- for the Crockpot

4 chicken breast halves or boneless chicken tenders
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
2- 14 oz. cans chicken broth
2- 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot- whichever you prefer)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (see note at bottom for a helpful tip!)
1 tablespoon, or more, ground cumin
8 oz. reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
Baked tortilla chips

Add minced garlic and oil to crockpot. Put chicken on top. Then, add all ingredients except the cheese and chips. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on crockpot temperature. Shred chicken with two forks and put back into the crockpot. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with crushed chips and cheese. Add additional broth if soup is too thick.

Makes approx. 12 servings
Exchange value: 1 cup= 1 1/2 veg. 1 1/2 meat

Basic nutritional value:
Calories: 234
Total fat: 7 g
Sat. fat 3.4 g
cholesterol 69mg
sodium 669mg

When I was shopping for these ingredients at Kroger, I noticed a new product I hadn't seen before (pictured above.) These squeeze bottles are perfect for storing herbs in the fridge and so convenient! You use what you need and refrigerate the rest. Since it seemed like the cilantro was pretty concentrated in this bottle, I didn't measure out a half cup as the recipe calls for. I think it equaled about 3 tablespoons. You could still taste it very well. Just thought I would let you all know about my newest discovery!

No comments:

Followers