Friday, November 19, 2010

Low Fat Baked Ziti with Spinach


I made this tonight since I wanted to do a vegetarian dish and cut down on our meat consumption. This definitely hit the spot!! So filling and delicious! I would definitely make this again.

Here are my changes:
Used regular spaghetti sauce instead of crushed tomatoes since I already had it on hand.
Couldn't find whole wheat ziti, so I used whole grain penne- very similar.
Couldn't find fat-free ricotta, so I used part-skim ricotta.
Didn't see the need in baking this for the entire 30 minutes. Once my cheese was melted, I took it out after about 15 minutes. Tasted GREAT!

Here are some helpful tips--
1) The recipe doesn't specify this, but if you make this, make sure to squeeze out ALL of the liquid from your frozen spinach after defrosting and before adding it to your pan. You don't want watery, mushy ziti!
2) I find it helpful for clean-up to cover my 9 x 13 dish with foil before adding the ziti. Afterward, you can scoop out the leftover pasta into a container, throw away the foil and have very little clean-up!

No comments:

Followers